Breastfeeding.
We all know that breastfeeding is good for the baby as it boosts his immune system. It is also less likely to cause an allergic reaction in the baby's system. Not only that, mothers can lose weight faster. Not to mention that you also save on formula.
Saw this article on CNA. Now, studies are showing that breastfeeding can also reduce risks of heart attacks.
Check out the article here
So here's to all my friends who're gonna have babies. do try to breastfeed your baby. But I have to say, breastfeeding isn't as easy as the magazine interviews made it out to be. It's actually pretty tough, not to mention tiring. Daddies definitely can't take over when mummies are tired.
Don't be tempted to use formula for a feed coz the baby will have nipple confusion. I only introduced the bottle at the end of his 2nd month to let him get accustomed to it before I got back to work.
Some breastfeeding myths.
(1) If you're small, you have no milk.
Ahem. totally untrue. Many of my colleagues saw the amount of milk I expressed at work coz it's stored in the pantry fridge and they're amazed that I have milk. Hmmm. Duh. Many of them are bigger sized than me and they shared with me how they weren't able to breastfeed their babies. I would say they probably gave up too soon. It's tough initially and your milk would take days to come in. It's a demand and supply idea. The more the baby suckles, the more your body will produce milk.
(2) Drink more milk to produce more milk.
While drinking more milk is really good for you and baby because you'll need the calcium replenishment, it doesn't mean that more cow's milk will lead to the production of more human milk. It's like how the Chinese think that eating pig's brain will boost the mental power of the human brain. (Actually I've been wondering that if a pig's brain is that good, why do we keep scolding "you pig!") Please. If cow's milk can become human milk, then if you drink lots of water, your milk should become really watery. Now, does that make any sense to anyone of you?
These 2 are the most common things I hear from friends and colleagues.
Oh well. maybe I should also start writing about some of the confinement myths. I followed none of them.
In any case, it is important still to watch your diet while breastfeeding. If your diet is nutritious, the milk you produce will be too. So if you know that you're not getting enough of something, be sure to take it in the form of a supplement pill. Otherwise, your body will use your stores of nutrients for the milk for your baby, depleting your own supply. That's not very good for you and especially so if you're considering having more children.
{ Thursday, April 23 }
October 2004
November 2004
December 2004
February 2005
March 2005
April 2005
May 2005
June 2005
July 2005
August 2005
September 2005
October 2005
November 2005
December 2005
January 2006
February 2006
April 2006
May 2006
June 2006
July 2006
August 2006
September 2006
October 2006
November 2006
December 2006
January 2007
February 2007
March 2007
April 2007
May 2007
June 2007
July 2007
August 2007
April 2008
May 2008
June 2008
July 2008
August 2008
September 2008
October 2008
November 2008
December 2008
April 2009
May 2009
July 2009
August 2009
Layout made by BAKEDPOTATOE, with help from Karen thru PGP for the image, and fonts Violation and Adorable thru Dafont.com.